Setting a Wi-Fi extender for the first time could be tricky, so it becomes important for you to be sure of the steps that you are following for setting up the Wi-Fi extender. Before we move onto that step, would you mind telling me as to which Wi-Fi range extender are you using? If you are using any Wi-Fi extender from Netgear, then you’ve opted for the best brand that there is on the market.
To setup Netgear Wi-Fi range extender, you need to perform certain steps, which you can find in the section below. You should follow the steps in the same order in which they are given in order to avoid any trouble later on.
- After taking Netgear Wi-Fi extender out of its box, you need to plug the power cable into the power outlet with another end inserted into the appropriate port.
- Turn on the device now and then, you need to move onto your computer as the next steps will make use of your computer.
- On your computer, you need to click ‘Wi-Fi’ icon that you can find at the bottom right corner of the screen.
- You will see a number of available Wi-Fi networks including ‘Netgear.ext’.
- Therefore, you need to connect to ‘Netgear.ext’. Once you are connected, you need to open the web browser.
- You need to enter ‘http://192.168.1.1’ or ‘http://192.168.0.1’ in the address bar and hit ‘enter’.
- You will now be asked to enter login credentials, which are;
- Username: admin
- Password: password
- Once you are logged in successfully, go to ‘setup’ followed by going to ‘wireless settings’ from there.
- You need to check the value in the password field, an option that you can find under ‘Security Options’.
- Click ‘Apply’ now.
- At last, you need to connect your Wi-Fi devices to Netgear Wi-Fi extender.
- If you want to change the default username and password, then you can do that from that Netgear settings page. Create a strong password for the network in order to make it hard for anybody to break in.
Setting up Netgear Wi-Fi Extender Setup without Ethernet Port
In case, you are using your Netgear Wi-Fi extender without Ethernet cable, then the aforementioned steps won’t work. Use the following steps to set up the device:
- From the list of Wi-Fi networks, select the network corresponding to the Netgear Wi-Fi extender.
- After that, you need to log into the web user interface of your Wi-Fi range extender. You will be asked to enter your username and password, so type ‘admin’ in the username field and type ‘password’ in the password
- Now, you will have to follow the setup wizard to setup your connection to the Wi-Fi router.
- At last, you need to connect your Wi-Fi devices to the Netgear range extender.
With that, the Netgear Wi-Fi range extender is set up perfectly. You will be able to access the internet in the dead zones of the house, which you were not able to do previously.