It is now possible for you to connect your Netgear Wi-Fi Range Extender to the router if the router’s SSID is hidden. Although there are certain steps that you will have to follow, in the end, you will be able to connect the extender to the router. If that doesn’t happen, then you can take help of Netgear Extender experts
To connect your Netgear Wi-Fi Range Extender to your router when the router’s SSID is hidden, you will have to follow certain steps. Your Wi-Fi Extender is not going to detect the router during the extender setup if the SSID of the router is hidden. The only option you have is manually entering the SSID information, details of which you will get in the following sections.
Here are the steps to connect your Netgear Wi-Fi Extender to a hidden SSID:
- Connect your Netgear Wi-Fi Range Extender to a power source and then, wait until it boots up.
- After that, you need to connect a wireless client device to the Extender’s default SSID. Doing this will automatically open the ‘New Extender Setup’ page in your computer’s default browser. In case, the ‘New Extender Setup’ page doesn’t show up automatically, then you can open it manually. Just enter ‘www.mywifiext.net’.
- Now, you will have to create an account for managing Netgear Wi-Fi Extender followed by clicking ‘Next.
- You will now see the Netgear Genie welcome screen, where you will have to select ‘Wi-Fi Range Extender’ to enter setup. You will see the setup wizard scanning for the existing wireless network that is in the range.
- In case the SSID of the router is hidden, then it is not going to appear on the list. Therefore, what you need to do in that case is, selecting the option named ‘Manually input my wireless SSID’ followed by clicking ‘Next.
- Then, you will have to enter the SSID of the router in the ‘Network Name (SSID)’ box. You need to select the same security option as the router in use. If prompted, enter the password and then, click ‘Next. Your router will not initialize the Netgear Wi-Fi Range Extender to connect with the Wi-Fi network of the router.
- Once the Wi-Fi Range Extender initializes the connection with the router, you will be asked to enter the SSID and password of the extender’s Wi-Fi networks. If you want to set the same security settings along with the password that your router currently has, then leave both fields unchanged followed by clicking ‘Next’ to conclude the setup process.
- In case you are looking to change the SSID or password, then you will have to make the changes accordingly. Once done, click ‘Next’ to finalize the setup process.
- You will now have to connect the client devices to the new wireless network of the Netgear Wi-Fi Range Extender followed by clicking ‘Continue’ to finish the setup.
With that, you will be able to connect your Netgear Wi-Fi Range Extender to the router even if the router’s SSID is hidden. In case, you come across any issue, then you can get in touch with Netgear Range Extender Setup and Support providers.