Netgear as we all know is a tech giant, which manufactures a wide range of networking devices such as routers, modems, switches, hubs and extenders. All the products manufactured by Netgear emanates quality, which is why these products are used everywhere, from homes to large companies because these devices are capable of handling large traffic along with ensuring fast internet.
What is Netgear WiFi Range Extender?
Netgear Wi-Fi Range Extender is your best solution to the internet problems that you come across at home or office. A Wi-Fi Range Extender is a device that is responsible for propagating the internet signal in those areas of the house where the signal doesn’t reach normally. The problem of ‘no internet signal’ can be solved by installing Netgear Range Extender in the house. The extender connects to the existing router or modem/router combo installed in your premises and extends the signal to reach those corners where you used to experience a complete signal blackout. However, in order to ensure smooth functioning of the internet through the extender, you must know how to setup the extender in the right way.
How do I set up my Netgear WiFi Extender?
Netgear Range Extender is a plug and play device, so there is nothing much involved in connection of the device. Follow the steps to configure Netgear Range Extender with your home network.
In order to configure your Netgear Range Extender, you will have to use Netgear Genie Smart Setup wizard. With the use of Netgear Genie, it is possible for you to configure the device through the web browser of your device that is connected to the same wireless network that you wish to extend throughout your house.
You must know certain details of your Wi-Fi network like, password of your wireless network because it will be used to complete the configuration. As we know that the Wi-Fi extender expands your current Wi-Fi network signal beyond its present limit, you will not have to bother about the wireless signal suddenly dropping causing inconvenience to you while you are in a middle of something very important.
Here are the steps to perform Netgear Router Extender Setup:
- Place the Wi-Fi range extender in the close proximity of the Wi-Fi router. Don’t worry, you can place the extender to a new location once you are done with the configuration process.
- Connect the Wi-Fi extender to a wall electrical outlet followed by waiting for a minute in order to see the device’s status LED turning to green.
- Click ‘Network’ icon in the taskbar on the PC followed by selecting ‘Netgear_Ext’ from the list of networks that you see on the PC in order to establish a strong connection.
- Now, open a new window on the web browser to open ‘Netgear Genie Smart Setup page’. In case, the page opens, then you need to enter ‘admin’ in the username field and ‘password’ in the password field. If the page doesn’t open, then you need to enter ‘mywifiext.net’ in the web browser’s address bar.
- Select your Wi-Fi network followed by clicking ‘Continue’. After that, enter the password for your network in the Password field and then, click ‘Continue’.
- Enter a new name for your Netgear Range Extender’s Wi-Fi network in ‘2.4GHz Network Name (SSID)’ box followed by clicking ‘Continue’. Then, you need to select ‘Use the same security mode’ checkbox in order to confirm the security settings that are currently being used by your Wi-Fi network with the extender’s network.
- Connect all your wireless devices and computers to the Wi-Fi range extender’s new Wi-Fi network.
- Click the box corresponding to the option ‘My Wireless devices are connected to the Extender network’. After that, click ‘Continue’.
- Disconnect the Wi-Fi range extender from the wall power outlet followed by relocating the Extender to a new location where you have identified that the signal doesn’t come at all.
- Finally, connect the Wi-Fi extender to an electrical outlet and wait until the status LED light turns green. With that, the process of the Netgear Range Extender setup concludes.
How do I setup my Netgear WiFi Extender without WPS?
To setup your Netgear WiFi Extender without WPS button, follow these steps:
- Plug your extender into an electrical outlet and wait until the power LED becomes stable.
- Place the WiFi Extender in the same room as your WiFi router to setup the extender without WPS.
- It will take a few minutes to power up.
- Connect your router with Netgear Extender.
- Once connected, the device link LED will glow in solid green.
- On your computer, launch a web browser and go to ‘www.mywifiext.net’ in the address bar.
- You will be asked for a username and password.
- Enter the details and login. With that, your extender will be setup without WPS.
How do I log into my Netgear WiFi Extender?
The setup process of Netgear WiFi Extender won’t complete until you log into the web interface of the extender because that’s where you can modify all the settings related to the extender. Here is how you can perform Netgear extender login:
- On your computer that is connected to the extender’s network, launch a web browser.
Note – If your router and extender has different WiFi network names (SSIDs), then you need to verify that you are connected to the extender’s network.
- If the router and extender use different WiFi network names (SSIDs), you will have to enter www.mywifiext.net in the address field of the browser.
- If the router and extender use same WiFi network name (SSID), then you need to enter ‘http://IP address of your extender (for example, http://192.168.1.1) in the address bar of the browser.
- Once entered, tap ‘Enter’.
- You will see a login page where you will have to enter a username and password. In username field, enter your email address.
- After entering the login credentials, tap ‘log in’.
- You will see the ‘Status’ page.
- In case, you web browser displays ‘Menu’ icon, click it.
- You will see the extender menu where you can select ‘Settings’ to view and adjust the settings of the extender.
What is Netgear Genie Smart?
To put it in simple terms, without Netgear Genie Smart Wizard, you won’t be able to configure you Netgear Wi-Fi Range Extender. When you setup your extender, you need to configure your extender on Netgear Genie because that’s how you will be able to set up parental controls, change security settings and access other features. You can download Netgear Genie app on your smartphone to control your extender remotely. You can create a guest network as well, which is very useful when you are expecting guests at home.
How do I setup my Netgear Genie?
Netgear Genie is an app designed to manage and install Netgear Extender on the network. Download the app on your smartphone, login using the extender’s username and password and then, you will come across Netgear Genie smart setup wizard that allows you to configure the extender to make changes to the extender’s features and settings. The app is free to download and is available for iOS and Android devices.
Here are the steps for Netgear Genie Smart Setup:
- Connect your extender using the network SSID.
- You will see all the available SSIDs on the screen of Netgear Genie interface.
- Choose the network you want to enhance the signal strength of and then, click ‘Continue’.
- Enter the password in the correct field if you have enabled passkey for the router.
- The router supports two frequencies, i.e., 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, so select the latter from the enlisted options.
- Once the connection between the router and extender establishes, go to ‘Settings’ page on the screen.
- After completing the settings, click ‘OK’ to proceed.
- A new window will appear on the screen where it is written that the connection is disconnected from the computer.
- Connect the WiFi extender to the router and then, enter the password again.
- Exit the Netgear Genie smart setup wizard by clicking on ‘Finish’ button.
How do I login to Netgear Genie?
Follow below-mentioned steps for successful Netgear Genie login process.
- As you download Genie app on your smartphone, you need to use your Netgear credentials to sign into the app.
- Make sure your smartphone is connected to the extender’s network.
- If you are accessing your router locally, then you will see ‘Local Access Page’. You will have to open the router option that you can see on the left side of the dashboard.
- Enter the router’s admin password after which, you need to tap the ‘Login’ button.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1: How do I setup my Netgear ex7000 extender?
- Connect your extender to a computer via wired or wireless connection.
- Use an Ethernet cable for wired connection whereas for wireless connection, connect your PC to ‘NETGEAR_EXT’ Wi-Fi network.
- As you connect, you’ll see a solid green light on the LED labelled as ‘device to extender’.
- Open a web browser now and enter ‘www.mywifiext.net’ in the address bar.
- Click the option that says ‘New Extender Setup’ and then, click ‘Next’.
- Select ‘WiFi Range Extender’ and then, select the Wi-Fi network you wish to extend.
- Click ‘Next’ and type in your network key or passphrase. Click ‘Next’.
- Change the SSID and passphrase of your extender or continue using the same old credentials. Click ‘Next’ to save the settings.
- Connect your devices to EX7000 SSID followed by clicking ‘Continue’.
- With that, your extender connects to your existing Wi-Fi network.
2: How do I put a password on my Netgear WiFi Extender?
To put a password on your Netgear WiFi Extender, you need to launch a web browser on your computer. Then, log into web-based setup page. You will have to enter the password now. After that, you can go to ‘Basic Settings’ and then, enter the ‘Password’ and ‘username’ of your choice.
3: How do I reconnect my Netgear extender?
If you have for some reason has disconnected your Netgear Extender, then you can reconnect the extender by plugging it into the power outlet and then, connecting the extender to the router using an Ethernet cable or by pressing WPS button on both devices to sync them. After that, you can connect the extender to the computer using an Ethernet cable or wirelessly.
4: How do I reset my Netgear WiFi Extender?
You can easily reset Netgear WiFi Extender by turning it on and then, pressing ‘Factory Reset’ button given on the back of the device. Use a pen or paper clip to press the recessed ‘Factory Reset’ button to complete the process.
5: What do the lights mean on my Netgear extender?
Different lights on the extender LEDs mean different things.
- Green light on power LED – Extender is on and in working condition.
- No arrow LED is blinking – Your extender is at a right location.
- Left arrow LED blinking – Move the extender closer to the router.
- Right arrow LED blinking – Move the extender closer to the client device.
- No light on any LED – No connection.
6: What is the password to my Netgear WiFi Extender?
To check the extender’s password, log into the extender page and click ‘Settings’ option. Under ‘General’ menu, locate the option labelled as ‘Look for Wi-Fi password’. As you click on that option, display the current password of the extender.
7: Why can’t I connect to my router admin page?
There could be multiple reasons why you are not able to connect to your router admin page:
- The computer you are trying to open the admin page on is not connected to the router’s network.
- The admin page you are trying to open is not correct.
- You could be using an outdated web browser.
8: Why can’t I log into my Netgear router?
If you are unable to log into the web interface of your Netgear router, then make sure that the connection between the router and connected devices is proper. Also, check the username and password you are entering on Netgear WiFi Extender login page are correct. Check if the extender and client device are successfully connected.
9: Contact Information For Netgear Extender Problems?
If you are not able to setup or login to your extender, then you can get the best assistance from the official support providers. Reach out to the experts from this page – https://www.netgear.com/support/. You can also check out the community page. Here is the link to the community page – https://community.netgear.com/t5/English/ct-p/English.
Netgear is also active on social media, so you can reach out to experts from their social handles, which are –